Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Change of Venue

Things are getting underway quickly here in Kigali. Zach and I have been meeting and setting up meetings with a lot of people lately! We finally met Santhi an instructor at KIST and the person who is essentially responsible for maintaining the contact with MIT AITI. Her Indian accent really made me miss my Indian friends back at MIT (<3)! At KIST they have an interesting system where each class year has a student representative and he was gracious enough to take us around the campus and show us the lab facilities and lecture halls we'll be teaching in. They're pretty nice! :)

It turns out that our class is pretty popular! There are 46 students who ask every single day whether they'll be allowed to take it. Zach and I have a hard time turning them down, so we're going to try to find some assistance to make sure that we can accommodate all of them. That's a huge number though...guess we're just gonna have to work EXTRA hard! We have been doing quite a bit of hard work on everything though. I don't think there's been a single day since Zach and I have been here in Rwanda, where we haven't sat at Bourbon Coffee to go through lectures on Python. We are thinking a lot of things through. We even decided to make worksheets to go with our lectures and we're making additional updates and changes to a lot of the lectures that were made by other teams. I think this is great though, we're going to be really prepared come crunch time! I guess the one thing I am really grateful for is the fact that Zach and I seem to work really well together. We hear each other out and are not really critical of one another. We also are not scared to say what we think. We have some lucky students :)

Today was quite a day, if I do say so myself. Zach was feeling a bit sick last night so he went to bed a bit early and I was looking up some stuff to learn Kinyarwanda. Since we've been here, we've been waking up around 7 or 7:30, but I think I woke up around 8:30 today, which felt great! We woke up to an email from Zach's mom that mentioned that she had some friends that might be able to set us up in an another place closer to KIST. Zach and I thought that was a great idea and after meeting with a few people, we are now staying....HERE!


We immediately fell in love with the place! It is actually not too far from the place where the President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, lives! We had to give up having our own rooms, but there is more than enough space for us to work. We have running water and the best part is....WE HAVE OUR OWN COOK! We just had our first hand-cooked Rwandan meal. SO GOOD!

I tried to find the name of our meal, but it didn't seem to come up in Google. I'll try to ask our cook tomorrow. One thing I think I realized today is how truly and genuinely nice the people or Rwanda are. People not only help you, but they want to keep helping you to make sure that you're okay. After we agreed to move into this new place, we were told, just let us know if you need anything else! When we got to the actual place our housemaid came out and as I stretched out my hand to greet her (as I usually done with people here in Rwanda), she just went right around me and gave me a hug. We had a driver today that took us to get our stuff from the old place were staying and help us bring it up here to our new home. Zach and I decided that he went out of his way to help us (especially since he got a traffic ticket waiting for us at our old place) that we decided to give him ₣5000 (that's Francs, the currency in Rwanda). He even offered to drive us anywhere where we might need to go and what do you know, we had planned to go and visit the Genocide Memorial! Turns out that by the time we were done with all of this moving and settling in, it was already late afternoon and the Memorial closes at 4PM. We decided it would actually be better to go tomorrow morning, so our buddy John will be picking us up bright and early at 8:30AM (after our cook makes us breakfast)! Don't worry, my camera is already charging :)

As I've learned to say in Kinyarwanda, Ijoro Rwiza! Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. William Morejon, as I said before, I am officially jealous of your summer adventures, and you've JUST begun your summer! Haha, great posts bro, really enjoy reading them, and even though I'm not there joining you, it feels like I can see everything that's going on.

    Keep up the great work...your students are truly lucky to be having you as their teacher!

    ReplyDelete